Every student at St Mary’s is expected to complete at least 30 hours of community service per year.
This expectation will be examined throughout the year based on safety precautions. For now, students should take opportunities to complete service hours when it is safe to do so.
Our faith requires us to serve others. Jesus tells us to feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, clothe the naked, and visit those in prison (Matthew 25). We expect students to perform acts of community service because we are training them to be disciples of Jesus Christ. It’s not just about “giving back.” It’s about the need to see Christ in other people. It’s about the need to imitate the life of Jesus, whose unconditional love led him to the cross.
(NOTE – this is not an exhaustive list)
Religious Education teacher/aid, Meals Ministry, Altar Serving, Soup Kitchen, Volunteer Firefighter, Nursing Home ministry, Choir, Vacation Bible School, Coaching, Campus Clean-up
Community service performed together as a club will count with the permission of the club advisor and Mr. Lepage. Students must still fill out the Community Service Form.
The following will not be accepted for community service (this is not an exhaustive list):
• Assistance to an individual person, e.g.—babysitting, yard work for neighbor, etc.
• Working for a private office, e.g.—law, insurance, doctor, etc.
• Working at a mall, retail outlet or any organization in business for profit.
• Work for political candidates.
• Any activity that would monetarily profit or benefit the person doing the service, a family member, relative or long-time friend in any way.
• Any activity that is done during class time.
• The service involves raising funds for an organization whereby the funds only benefit the student and not the organization, such as raising money to attend a trip or for a club.
• The service involves selling candy, raffle tickets, discount cards, etc.
• The organization’s mission, and/or business, is inconsistent with and/or contrary to the mission, beliefs and teachings of the Catholic Church.
Exceptions can be made to this policy on a case-by-case basis by Mr. Lepage.
June 1, 2020: First possible date for community service.
October 1, 2020: Summer hours must be submitted.
May 31, 2021: Last possible date for community service.
June 30, 2021: All service hours for the year must be submitted.