The laptop that a student is issued is the property of St Mary’s Parish School leased through Archangel Tablets. The cost for this lease to the parents is $10 per month. Like textbooks and other school property, a laptop is assigned to a student and will be returned at the end of each school year.
The use of a laptop is a privilege that can be revoked due to failure to adhere to the rules and regulations that St. Mary’s has established for use. Before being issued a laptop, students are expected to sign and follow the policy stated below.
● The laptop is an educational tool and should be used in that capacity only. Once issued, you are responsible for the laptop at all times.
● The laptop should not be used to copy, download, upload, or share copyrighted materials without the owner’s permission. This includes the reproduction of music and video files and software applications.
● You are the only authorized user of your laptop. Laptops may never be shared or swapped with another user.
● Passwords must be kept confidential.
● The laptop must be used on a flat, stable surface.
● Do not eat or drink near the laptop.
● Avoid touching the screen. When necessary, wipe the screen surface lightly with a soft cloth.
● Do not rest writing utensils on the keyboard. Accidentally closing the laptop with items on the keyboard damages the screen.
● Do not mark the laptop in any way with pictures, graphics, stickers, markers, etc.
● Do not insert objects into the ports or openings of the laptop.
● Back up your work regularly.
● Close the laptop gently from the center of the lid.
● Charge the laptop each night by establishing a secure power cord connection.
● Do not pull on the laptop when cables are connected.
● Do not recharge the laptop in a case.
● Do not leave the laptop in a vehicle.
● Laptops will not be used to record audio or video on school premises unless written permission is granted by the teacher or administration.
● Be polite and courteous.
● Do not use the network in any way that would disrupt its use by other users.
● Do not use or access any other person’s account for any reason.
● Do not access inappropriate or obscene material. This behavior is cause for immediate loss of laptop use and/or other disciplinary action.
● Realize that email, and social media sites are not private. Messages relating to or in support of illegal activities may be reported to authorities.
● Chat rooms or chat software may not be used.
● Social networking sites may not be used.
● Students have no expectation of privacy and should expect teachers or administrators to conduct spot checks of their internet history, documents, email, etc.
● Use of any method to bypass the content filters.
● Accessing, uploading, downloading, or distributing pornographic, obscene, or sexually explicit content of any kind.
● Transmitting obscene, abusive, sexually explicit or threatening language.
● Accessing another individual’s materials, information, or files without previously being given permission.
● Using or attempting to discover another’s password.
● Violating copyright or using the intellectual property of another individual or organization without permission.
● Vandalizing, defined as any unauthorized access and/or malicious attempt to damage computer hardware/software or networks, as well as, including the destruction or attempt to destroy data of another user by creating, uploading, or intentionally introducing viruses into the network/internet.
● Intentionally wasting limited resource and storage space.
● Harassing, insulting or attacking others.
● Using, disclosing, or disseminating personal information online, such as full name, home address, phone number etc.
● Gaining unauthorized access to resources or entities.
● Invading the privacy of others.
● Improperly and/or intentionally altering the setup of computers as determined by administration.
● Using software that has not been pre-approved or assigned by the school.
● Seeking to gain or gaining authorized access to the network, software, internet, or computer devices.
● Failure to follow school policy.
● Any issues the administration deems as inappropriate use.
● Student laptop and internet acceptable use policy and laptop home use rules and regulations must be followed at all times.
● Students taking their laptops home must have an approved case.
● Students are responsible for taking care of their laptops and chargers.
● Every laptop must be secured in its assigned case while in transit.
● Laptops are not allowed to be used in bus-rooms.
● The laptop is to be used by assigned student only. The student agrees to give parents/guardians their student login password to the desktop in order for parents to supervise student usage at home.
● Parents/guardians are encouraged to be “nosy” and interact with their student about laptop work.
● Laptops must be recharged before returning to school.
● Do not recharge laptop in its case.
● Laptops and power cords must be returned to school every day, secured in their cases.
● If technical difficulties or issues prevent homework completion, a parent note is required.
● If a laptop is stolen, the police should be notified immediately and the school should be notified ASAP.
● In the case of negligent or intentional damage the parent/guardian is responsible for the total cost of the repair or replacement.